Sunday, June 26, 2011

10 Things I have learned while Mom is away...

1. I want a dishwasher. Staying at Mom's where we have a dishwasher to use has convinced me of this. It saves me crazy amounts of time. The dishes actually get done after every meal even when life is rushed.

2. Having my family living in two separate homes is annoying. Going back and forth almost daily is wearing. Having kids making a mess in two separate places is more than I care to deal with. It will be nice to have us all under the same roof. That being said, having siblings who tend to rival frequently in two separate homes has been a nice break for them and for us.

3. I call my mom a lot. I thought we spoke often but it turns out it's about 2-3 times a day. I miss her. I miss her a lot more than I thought I would.

4. Keeping up a uncluttered home is a lot easier than trying to keep up my own disaster pile. Must work on that when we are back home! It feels like I am always decluttering, I guess I need to kick it into high gear. Heard a quote on The Big Bang Theory that sums up my house: "This isn't anyone's 'home'. This is a swirling vortex of entropy." Mom's house is decluttered but not stark. Not quite minimalist but way closer than mine is.

5. House-sitting is much more pleasant than dog-sitting. I always dreaded Mom going away because I thought house-sitting was terrible. Turns out it was just the dog that makes it terrible.

6. Did I mention I miss my mom? I really do.

7. I often feel spoiled because we have 1.5 baths at home. Here with two full baths it's heavenly.

8. Having the playground a five minute walk away means we are outside a lot more. The Littles sleep a lot better when we hit the playground to burn off the last of their energy after supper.

9. Central air is a gift to me directly from God. I truly believe this. Other than having two full bathrooms I will miss central air the most.

10. The Littles do not need nearly the amount of clothes that they own. I packed each of them five outfits and two pairs of pjs for the two weeks. They wear the same three outfits over and over. The only thing I would change would be to have a third pair of pjs in case of a bedtime snack spill or pee accident when the first pair is in the wash.

Mom is home at the end of the week and brings my sister & nieces with her. I can't wait!!

1 comment:

  1. I commented, but it disappeared. What's that about? Anyhoo...this an upbeat, positive post.

    I like it.

    I bet your mum would like it too, if you were to email it to her.

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete